Friday 25 May 2012

New Job, Tiredness and Hard Work

I know it's been a while since my last post and a lot has happened in that time. On Tuesday I started a new job. The kitchen job at the pub chain was good and I was enjoying it but like I said in a previous post, I was simply pushing buttons on a microwave, there was very little cooking involved. When a friend let me know there was an opening for a chef at a local golf club and wanted to put my details forward I of course said yes but as it was a proper chefs position I wasn't holding out a great deal of hope. I heard back from them on the same day and the day after I was invited for a chat and then a short trial where I cooked a couple of dishes. Despite over-seasoning my salmon dish I was offered the job, surprisingly, and started the very next day. Over the last two days I have already made, from scratch, pork pies, hummus, walnut focaccia, smoked mackerel pate, an amazing blue cheese dressing and some fantastic burgers. I can't quite believe I am being paid to do this and I'm loving every minute of it. 

The golf club is a lovely place and from what I've heard they are only looking to expand and develop, especially the food side of things and it all sounds like there are exciting times ahead. I find it strange that only a couple of months ago I decided to become a professional chef and now, hardly any time since, I can call myself a chef. It's very hard work, very long hours and I'm very tired but it's a chance I intend to grab with both hands. A big thanks goes to Tom, the friend that made me aware of the job and passed my details on. Without him I wouldn't have the job as I don't think I would have even applied for it if I saw it advertised due to lack of experience or even confidence. I'll let you all know how it goes as I continue.

Less than a week now until we head off to America. I can't believe it's come round so quickly and now I just can't wait to get up in the air and on the way. The food, the travel and of course the wedding at the end of it, it's all going to be pretty incredible.

Thanks for reading!

Ben


No comments:

Post a Comment