Thursday 12 April 2012

Stoke Street Food - Wouldn't That Be Nice?

Street food is starting to become all the rage. In the UK anyway. In Asia and Africa especially, street food has been the norm for a long, long time and in other parts of Europe and the Americas too. But only in the last few years has it started to become popular here in Blighty. The problem is that only in the big cities such as London, Manchester, Birmingham, Nottingham for example, are food stalls being set up in the streets. Now, I live in Stoke. Not the culinary capital of the world. Although we have the outstanding and misunderstood Staffordshire oatcake, there's not much else to get excited about. The one oatcake van in Hanley is the closest thing we have to street food. In fact, apart from one or two places there's not many great places to eat here. McDonald's is considered a treat, if you've got a bit more cash there's Burger King and if you're feeling really fancy there's at least six Subways to choose from. It would be great to have just one outstanding street food stall. Quality burgers, sandwiches, hot dogs, jerk chicken with rice and peas, anything to shake up the locals here would be welcome. There is another van in the middle of Hanley but I don't fancy a salmonella burger, thank you very much. In fact, maybe I should just do it myself. 'Ben's Burger Van' has quite a ring to it don't you think? The classic hamburger, cheeseburger and maybe more exotic fare like lamb and mint burger, chilli burger, venison, ostrich, wild boar, the Christmas burger (turkey, stuffing and cranberry), the possibilities are endless. Maybe one day it will happen...

So I started my new job a couple of days ago. It's gone well so far. Hard work, especially when the only thing I've been used to the rest of my working life has been sitting in front of a computer for eight hours a day. My feet hurt and it's tiring but I'm enjoying it. Having said that, there may be another job on the horizon so I'll just have to let you know how that goes....

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment