Tuesday 17 April 2012

Surprise Japanese Treat!

So there I was, ready to start cooking the homemade beef and pesto meatballs I had spent literally minutes slaving over earlier when I got a phone call from my fiance, Emma. 'Meet me when I finish work, we'll go eat somewhere'. Fine I say, not particularly happy, I was looking forward to those meatballs and I was in my pyjamas, relaxed after doing nothing on my day off. I meet her and find out we are going to Miso, Stoke's only Japanese restaurant. Whenever Miso is mentioned I feel instanly better, it's like a shot of happiness straight to the stomach. It is probably the only place in Stoke you are absolutley guaranteed to have perfect, fresh, tasty, reasonably priced food every single time. On top of that you are always made to feel welcome and valued as a customer in the small but intimate surroundings. Stoke is not the kind of place you'd expect to find a Japanese restaurant, especially one with such quality, but my friends and I go regularly, in fact we worked out via the loyalty card scheme Miso provides that we have been fifteen times in the last fifteen months and, incredibly, it only gets better with each visit. Emma had her usual, the prawn katsu roll followed by the roast duck bento box and I had the soft shell crab tempura and then the chicken katsu curry bento, all as delicious as ever. 





I mentioned in my last post that my job situation may be changing. I'm pleased to say it has. On Monday I had a trial shift at a national pub chain, this job though is actually in the kitchen, preparing food instead of serving it. It's ahead of schedule and not something I thought I'd get this early in my road to becoming a chef. I do realise it's not fine dining and it's certainly not Michelin starred stuff but what it definitely is is a start, one further step up the ladder and what I feel will be an invaluable learning experience. I enjoyed the trial, I was pretty much thrown it at the deep end but coped admirably I think and I start next week, I'll keep you updated. I may have only been waiting on staff for a week and I enjoyed that but I knew that it would have got to me after a while, being that close to a kitchen but so far away at the same time. We'll see how the new job goes but I'm excited about it.

Thanks again for reading!

Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment